Activism Discussion: 76% Of Americans Say Government Not Doing Enough To Address Global Warming

76% Of Americans Say Government Not Doing Enough To Address Global Warming

I*@economicdemocracy.org
2006-03-24 20:42:22 EST
76% of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
warming
mongabay.com
March 15, 2006

A new survey released today by the nonpartisan Civil Society Institute
found that 76 percent - including two out of three conservatives -
think the federal government is not doing "enough to address global
warming and develop alternative energy sources in order to reduce our
dependence on foreign oil."

The survey, based on telephone interviews conducted among a sample of
1,029 American adults (512 men and 517 women) aged 18 and over during
the period of February 23-26, 2006, also found that more than four out
five Americans (83 percent) - including 77 percent of conservatives
- said that "in the absence of federal leadership" today, they
support the fast-growing number of pushes by "state and local officials
to curb global warming and promote new energy resources."

Results from the poll suggest that environmental policy is a top
concern of Americans going into an election year. 77 percent of those
surveyed think that "developing alternative or renewable energy sources
and reducing U.S. dependence on foreign oil should be President Bush's
top priority for the balance of his term in office" and 83 percent
would like to see more attention paid to global warming during the 2006
Congressional elections and the 2008 Presidential elections.

"One of the most striking aspects of these findings is the widespread
and decidedly bipartisan nature of the concerns about inaction on
global warming and energy solutions," said Graham Hueber, Opinion
Research Corporation Senior Research Associate of the Civil Society
Institute. "We don't see the party-line polarization that is so evident
on many other national issues. This survey will give no comfort at all
to politicians who think they can drag their feet on climate change and
energy solutions."

While the United States may be known as the land of pickups and SUVs,
the survey suggests that a growing number of Americans believe "it is
patriotic to drive a more fuel-efficient vehicle since it requires less
fuel to run, and therefore, can help to reduce U.S. dependency on
Middle Eastern oil."

The survey results come a day after NASA announced that atmospheric
concentrations of carbon dioxide now stand at 381 per million (ppm),
about 36 percent above pre-industrial levels. Carbon dioxide is a
principal "greenhouse gas" thought to be driving global warming. Humans
boost carbon dioxide levels primarily by the combustion of fossils
fuels and deforestation. Presently, the United States is the world's
largest producer of carbon dioxide emissions.

Scientists expect higher temperatures to increase the severity of
tropical storms and hurricanes in coming years. The damage wrought by
Hurricane Katrina has bolstered awareness of climate change among many
Americans.

http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0315-climate_poll.html

=============

DON'T MOURN, ACT! WEBSITES FOR ACTION:

http://www.earthshare.org/get_involved/involved.html

http://www.greenhousenet.org/
http://www.solarcatalyst.com/
http://www.campaignearth.org/buy_green_nativeenergy.asp

Overview and local actions you can take: http://www.PostCarbon.org
=============

= = = =
STILL FEELING LIKE THE MAINSTREAM U.S. CORPORATE MEDIA
IS GIVING A FULL HONEST PICTURE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?
= = = =
Daily online radio show, news reporting: www.DemocracyNow.org
More news: UseNet's misc.activism.progressive (moderated)
= = = =
Sorry, we cannot read/reply to most usenet posts but welcome email
For more information: http://EconomicDemocracy.org/wtc/ (peace)
And http://EconomicDemocracy.org/ (general)

** ANTI-SPAM EMAIL NOTE: For email "info" and "map" DON'T work. Email
instead
** to m-a-i-l-m-a-i-l (without the dashes) at economicdemocracy.org

Roy. Just Roy.
2006-03-24 21:00:21 EST
>> the survey suggests that a growing number

Translation: a small minority.
It would be interesting to see the data tables - from what I've read, I
would estimate the number of Americans driving smaller cars because
they want to (as opposed to can't afford anything else) at around 10%.

I would believe the 77 and 83 percent figures - Americans love to whine
and complain, but when it comes to sacrifice, they want somebody else
to fix the problem for them.

/Roy

Jimpgh2002
2006-03-24 21:19:21 EST
On 24 Mar 2006 17:42:22 -0800, info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:

>76% of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
>warming

And whose fault was it when the earth had ice ages followed by
global warming(rinse, repeat) over the millenniums prior to now?

Mark Mywords
2006-03-24 21:22:55 EST
In article <v1a922pllo101g70i6mhr0b3rgk3lg23pl@4ax.com>,
jimpgh2002 <pmojh1@xxnospamxxhotmail.com> wrote:

> And whose fault was it when the earth had ice ages followed by
> global warming(rinse, repeat) over the millenniums prior to now?

You're right. We should just burn coal like crazy and all drive 10mpg SUVs
because we're all gonna die from natural warming soon anyway.

NeoLibertarian
2006-03-24 21:36:27 EST

i*o@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
> 76% of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
> warming
> mongabay.com
> March 15, 2006
>

> A new survey released today by the nonpartisan Civil Society Institute
> found that 76 percent - including two out of three conservatives -
> think the federal government is not doing "enough to address global
> warming and develop alternative energy sources in order to reduce our
> dependence on foreign oil."

A) It's not the fucking Government's JOB. What kind of moron would be
sitting around and waiting for the Government to be creating
alternatives energy sources?

The Government won't and can't create innovation. It can only tax
innovation.

B) A hundred parts per million increase in the Tropospheric Carbon
Dioxide, Amen, cannot be shown to be causing the forcing necessary for
observed Global Warming.

Solar Flares are causing the observed Global Warming.

IPCC makes the ignorant assumption that the sun is constant. It is not;
it is a variable star. The only way for IPPC to claim that Carbon
Dioxide, Amen, is causing Global Warming is to ignore, not only the
variable irradiance of sun, but water vapor as well. At one millibar,
and 50% humidity, it is impossible to duplicate IPCC's exaggerated
claims about the forcing of Carbon Dioxide, Amen.

C) It doesn't matter what opinion polls show, one way or the other.

Unless you're running for office.

--
NeoLibertarian

Dion
2006-03-24 23:14:31 EST

"NeoLibertarian" <cognac756@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
>> 76% of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
>> warming
>> mongabay.com
>> March 15, 2006
>>

>> A new survey released today by the nonpartisan Civil Society Institute
>> found that 76 percent - including two out of three conservatives -
>> think the federal government is not doing "enough to address global
>> warming and develop alternative energy sources in order to reduce our
>> dependence on foreign oil."
>
> A) It's not the fucking Government's JOB. What kind of moron would be
> sitting around and waiting for the Government to be creating
> alternatives energy sources?

Bush is giving Big Oil money to find AE. Seems silly really, paying the
supplier to find you a different supplier. What incentive is there for them
to produce results. Seems like GWBush is giving Big Oil money for nothing.
--
Dion

The right of the people to be secure
in their persons, houses, papers,
and effects, against unreasonable
searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue,
but upon probable cause, supported
by Oath or affirmation, and particularly
describing the place to be searched,
and the persons or things to be seized.

"The President has broken the law,
and the censure resolution I introduced
is intended to hold him accountable.
Nobody says that we shouldn't be
monitoring suspected terrorists. Of
course we should, and we can under
current law. We have yet to hear a
reasonable argument from the president
or anyone else why it was necessary to
break the law." Russ Feingold

C*@yahoo.com
2006-03-24 23:49:28 EST

Dion wrote:
> "NeoLibertarian" <cognac756@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
> >> 76% of Americans say government not doing enough to address global
> >> warming
> >> mongabay.com
> >> March 15, 2006
> >>

> >> A new survey released today by the nonpartisan Civil Society Institute
> >> found that 76 percent - including two out of three conservatives -
> >> think the federal government is not doing "enough to address global
> >> warming and develop alternative energy sources in order to reduce our
> >> dependence on foreign oil."
> >
> > A) It's not the fucking Government's JOB. What kind of moron would be
> > sitting around and waiting for the Government to be creating
> > alternatives energy sources?
>
> Bush is giving Big Oil money to find AE. Seems silly really, paying the
> supplier to find you a different supplier. What incentive is there for them
> to produce results. Seems like GWBush is giving Big Oil money for nothing.
> --

Bush isn't "the Government," dummy. He's your servant.

Your government doesn't produce anything. Except victories in war.

No government discovered a use for petroleum. No government ever
created an internal combustion engine.

He throws your money at alternative energy research because you expect
him to. Not because anyone seriously thinks that the government will
actually produce alternative energy sources.

But it WILL tax it, once produced.

--
NeoLibertarian

DKat
2006-03-25 00:30:40 EST
Actually I think we should blow a few abombs to put enough dust in the air
for a few years so we can have an ice age. The anerobic organisms made
their world mostly uninhabitable for themselves but gave us a spiffy place
to live in. Who know who will take our place when we make it unlivable for
a large human population.

"Mark Mywords" <markm@ywords.com> wrote in message
> In article <v1a922pllo101g70i6mhr0b3rgk3lg23pl@4ax.com>,
> jimpgh2002 <pmojh1@xxnospamxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And whose fault was it when the earth had ice ages followed by
>> global warming(rinse, repeat) over the millenniums prior to now?
>
> You're right. We should just burn coal like crazy and all drive 10mpg SUVs
> because we're all gonna die from natural warming soon anyway.

Jimpgh2002
2006-03-25 01:07:02 EST
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:22:55 -0500, Mark Mywords <markm@ywords.com>
wrote:

>In article <v1a922pllo101g70i6mhr0b3rgk3lg23pl@4ax.com>,
> jimpgh2002 <pmojh1@xxnospamxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And whose fault was it when the earth had ice ages followed by
>> global warming(rinse, repeat) over the millenniums prior to now?
>
>You're right. We should just burn coal like crazy and all drive 10mpg SUVs
>because we're all gonna die from natural warming soon anyway.

Sarcasm noted.
How much control over the earth's warming/cooling do you
think mankind has?

DKat
2006-03-25 01:21:43 EST

"jimpgh2002" <pmojh1@xxnospamxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:22:55 -0500, Mark Mywords <markm@ywords.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <v1a922pllo101g70i6mhr0b3rgk3lg23pl@4ax.com>,
>> jimpgh2002 <pmojh1@xxnospamxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And whose fault was it when the earth had ice ages followed by
>>> global warming(rinse, repeat) over the millenniums prior to now?
>>
>>You're right. We should just burn coal like crazy and all drive 10mpg SUVs
>>because we're all gonna die from natural warming soon anyway.
>
> Sarcasm noted.
> How much control over the earth's warming/cooling do you
> think mankind has?

Many scientist believe that we are reaching the point of no return - that we
will have changed to atmosphere enough that we cannot reverse the damage.
We have lived in an unusual period of stability and that may be ending - too
many variables to tell what we are going to end up with - ice age or
dinosaur climate are the two most likely (meaning much less land to live on
in either case). If we were wise, we would do all that we could to return
the atmosphere to what it was that gave us the stability that had allowed us
to thrive. I don't much care because I think life of one form or another
will go on and less humans may not be such a bad thing.