Activism Discussion: Culture Of Death: Christian, Muslim Fundamentalists Combine To Block Fight Against AIDS

Culture Of Death: Christian, Muslim Fundamentalists Combine To Block Fight Against AIDS

Archaeopteryx
2006-06-02 11:45:11 EST
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=273524&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

US blocking deal on fighting Aids

02 June 2006 01:30 The Bush administration, heavily
influenced by the Christian right, is blocking key
proposals for a new United Nations package to combat
HIV/Aids worldwide over the next five years because of
its opposition to the distribution of condoms and
needle exchanges and references to prostitutes, drug
addicts and homosexuals.

The United States is being supported by many Muslim
countries, including Egypt, and various conservative
African and Latin American nations. "There are a lot
of unholy alliances all over the place," said a
European official attending UN talks in New York on
Thursday night.

Fraught negotiations were continuing to try to salvage
as much of the package as possible. More than 140
nations are attending the UN summit in New York which
began on Wednesday. The meeting is intended to update
a 2001 declaration that provided the momentum for a
worldwide campaign against HIV/Aids. A new declaration
is due to be agreed on Friday.

Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary General, told the summit:
"The world has been unconscionably slow in meeting one
of the most vital aspects of the struggle: measures to
fight the spread of Aids among women and girls. These
shortcomings are deadly."

A report published on Tuesday by the agency UNAIDS says
new figures suggest the infection rate is slowing down
globally, but new infections are continuing to increase
in certain regions and countries.

The report adds that an estimated 38,6-million people
are living with the Aids virus, HIV; 4,1-million were
newly infected last year; 2,8-million died of Aids last
year; and treatment with medicines is available to less
than half of those infected with the virus.

Of those infected worldwide, almost half -- about 17
million -- are women, and three-quarters of those are
in Africa.

The British government, which has sided with Washington
so often over the past decade, is in the progressive
bloc at the summit, along with Canada and other
European countries, and is diametrically opposed to
Washington over its approach to HIV/Aids.

Although the US is the world's highest spender in
combating the virus, much of the money goes towards sex
abstinence campaigns rather than the distribution of
condoms or needle-exchange programmes.

Hilary Benn, Britain's International Development
Secretary, who flew to New York last night and will
address the UN General Assembly on Friday, distanced
himself from the US approach.

He said: "We have to take action on the evidence of
what works, on what saves people's lives, and not on
ideology. That means making condoms available and
reducing harm to people at risk: injecting drug-users,
sex workers and men having sex with men."

He said he hoped a declaration would be agreed on
Friday. "At the moment, one could say negotiations are
deadlocked," he said. "I am concerned about that, but
I do hope that we'll be able to find a way forward."

Sisonke Msimang, a spokesperson for the
Johannesburg-based Open Society Initiative for South
Africa, one of hundreds of civil groups attending the
summit, said: "It is not going forward."

She added that the US was among the key antagonists,
saying: "America has been clear that it will oppose
global targets. America says any mention of condoms
has to be matched by abstinence and faithfulness."

The US is also opposed to increased funding targets.
UNAids wants spending to be increased from $8,2-billion
a year on fighting HIV/Aids to $22-billion by 2010.
But Washington has opposed this, preferring individual
countries to set targets rather than the UN.

The Washington Post reported on Thursday that the US
government feared that if the target was set and there
were shortfalls, it would be blamed.

The summit overrode the US funding objections
yesterday, but negotiations were continuing last night
over who will fund the $22-billion target. The US
wants conditions to be attached to funding, but is
being opposed by the Europeans.

The Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), which
represents Muslim countries, vehemently opposes
references in the declaration to homosexuals,
prostitutes and drug addicts, saying these should not
appear in a public document. The US is supporting the
OIC.

The summit, held to mark the 25th anniversary of the
first documented HIV/Aids cases, is supposed to flesh
out promises made at the G8 summit in Gleneagles last
year to combat the virus. Diplomats involved in the
negotiations were working late into the night in order
to secure agreement for Friday's meeting, which is due
to be attended by a number of heads of government and
which is due to be opened by the US First Lady, Laura
Bush. - Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers
Limited 2006

O*@aol.com
2006-06-02 11:52:52 EST
archaeopteryx wrote:
> http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=273524&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/
>
> US blocking deal on fighting Aids

The US already gives more money to fight AIDS that any other on the
planet. Try not to cry, liar.

> [...]
> wants conditions to be attached to funding, but is
> being opposed by the Europeans.
>
> The Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), which
> represents Muslim countries, vehemently opposes
> references in the declaration to homosexuals,
> prostitutes and drug addicts, saying these should not
> appear in a public document. The US is supporting the
> OIC.
>
> The summit, held to mark the 25th anniversary of the
> first documented HIV/Aids cases, is supposed to flesh
> out promises made at the G8 summit in Gleneagles last
> year to combat the virus. Diplomats involved in the
> negotiations were working late into the night in order
> to secure agreement for Friday's meeting, which is due
> to be attended by a number of heads of government and
> which is due to be opened by the US First Lady, Laura
> Bush. - Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers

Jeff White
2006-06-02 13:09:32 EST

<*t@aol.com> wrote in message
archaeopteryx wrote:
> http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=273524&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/
>
> US blocking deal on fighting Aids

>>The US already gives more money to fight AIDS that any other on the
>>planet. Try not to cry, liar.

and yet gives very little towards /preventing/ AIDS. funny isn't it?

and btw, why the HELL are you using quoted printable encoding on your
messages?!

> [...]
> wants conditions to be attached to funding, but is
> being opposed by the Europeans.
>
> The Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), which
> represents Muslim countries, vehemently opposes
> references in the declaration to homosexuals,
> prostitutes and drug addicts, saying these should not
> appear in a public document. The US is supporting the
> OIC.
>
> The summit, held to mark the 25th anniversary of the
> first documented HIV/Aids cases, is supposed to flesh
> out promises made at the G8 summit in Gleneagles last
> year to combat the virus. Diplomats involved in the
> negotiations were working late into the night in order
> to secure agreement for Friday's meeting, which is due
> to be attended by a number of heads of government and
> which is due to be opened by the US First Lady, Laura
> Bush. - Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers

AmerGovtCriminalsExposer
2006-06-02 13:42:00 EST

archaeopteryx wrote:
> http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=273524&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/
>
> US blocking deal on fighting Aids

>>The US already gives more money to fight AIDS that any other on the
>>planet. Try not to cry, liar.

Because the AMERICAN GOVT PSYCHOPATHS dont LIKE TO MURDER people WITH AIDS.

AMAZING HOW the EVIL AMERICAN GOVT GETS AWAY WITH MURDERS, MAYHEM, RAPES,
MASSACRES, LOOTING, PERVERSION, SADISM, TORTURES all over the world.

And the WORST PART is these AMERICAN GOVT CLOWNS spend DECADES and DECADES
PSYCHOANALYZING EVERYBODY ELSE BUT THEMSELVES and conducting research and
writing books WHY the rest of the world HATES
AMERICA ? ROFLMAO...........

http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Authors/Quotations_page_5.html

It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable and to
propagandize the American people to hate, so we will let the establishment
spend any amount of money on arms. "
John Stockwell

" Coming to grips with these U.S./CIA activities in broad numbers and
figuring out how many people have been killed in the jungles of Laos or the
hills of Nicaragua is very difficult. But, adding them up as best we can, we
come up with a figure of six million people killed-and this is a minimum
figure. Included are: one million killed in the Korean War, two million
killed in the Vietnam War, 800,000 killed in Indonesia, one million in
Cambodia, 20,000 killed in Angola ... and 22,000 killed in Nicaragua. These
people would not have died if U.S. tax dollars had not been spent by the CIA
to inflame tensions, finance covert political and military activities and
destabilize societies.

Certainly, there are other local, regional, national and international
factors in many of these operations, but if the CIA were tried fairly in a
U.S. court, under U.S. law, the principle of complicity, incitement, riot,
and mayhem would clearly apply. In the United States, if you hire someone to
commit a murder your sentence may be approximately the same as that of the
murderer himself.

Who are these six million people we have killed in the interest of American
national security? Conservatives tell us, "It's a dangerous world. Our
enemies have to die so we can be safe and secure." Some of them say, "I'm
sorry, but that's the way the world is. We have to accept this reality and
defend ourselves, to make our nation safe and insure our way of life."
Since 1954, however, we have not parachuted teams into the Soviet Union -
our number one enemy - to destabilize that country... Neither do we run
these violent operations in England, France, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, or
Switzerland. Since the mid-1950s they have all been conducted in Third World
countries where governments do not have the power to force the United States
to stop its brutal and destabilizing campaigns.

One might call this the "Third World War." It is a war that has been fought
by the United States against the Third World. Others call it the Cold War
and focus on the anti-Communist and anti-Soviet rationales, but the dead are
not Soviets; they are people of the Third World. It might also be called the
Forty-Year War, like the Thirty-Year and Hundred-Year Wars in Europe, for
this one began when the CIA was founded in 1947 and continues today.
Altogether, perhaps twenty million people died in the Cold War. As wars go,
it has been the second or third most destructive of human life in all of
history, after World War I and World War II.

The six million people the CIA has helped to kill are people of the Mitumba
Mountains of the Congo, the jungles of Southeast Asia, and the hills of
northern Nicaragua. They are people without ICBMs or armies or navies,
incapable of doing physical damage to the United States the 22,000 killed in
Nicaragua, for example, are not Russians; they are not Cuban soldiers or
advisors; they are not even mostly Sandinistas. A majority are rag-poor
peasants, including large numbers of women and children.

Communists? Hardly, since the dead Nicaraguans are predominantly Roman
Catholics. Enemies of the United States? That description doesn't fit
either, because the thousands of witnesses who have lived in Nicaraguan
villages with the people since 1979 testify that the Nicaraguans are the
warmest people on the face of the earth, that they love people from the
United States, and they simply cannot understand why our leaders would want
to spend $1 billion on a contra force designed to murder people and wreck
the country."

John Stockwell

Look, if you think any American official is going to tell you the truth,
then you're stupid. Did you hear that? - stupid."
Arthur Sylvester, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, 1965

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
government."
Edward Abbey

http://thirdworldtraveler.com/Authors/QuotationsToMakeUSThink.html

http://thirdworldtraveler.com

Pax anti- american imperialism and terrorism is a philosophy.

Making sure evil, imperialistic american govt does not turn me into a slave
like majority of the americans, is liberty building.

Think of it as somebody beating the shit out of EVIL AMERICAN GOVT
CRIMINALS, MURDERERS and TERRORISTS for being FASCIST and GENOCIDAL.

David
2006-06-03 05:10:33 EST
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:42:00 -0700, "AmerGovtCriminalsExposer"
<*r@americangovt.org> typed furiously:

>Because the AMERICAN

Another idiot who can't disable the Caps Lock key. That was as far as
I read.
--
David
At the bottom of the application where it says

A*@gmail.com
2006-06-03 10:11:41 EST

David wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:42:00 -0700, "AmerGovtCriminalsExposer"
> <AmerGovtCriminalsExposer@americangovt.org> typed furiously:
>
> >Because the AMERICAN
>
> Another idiot who can't disable the Caps Lock key. That was as far as
> I read.

The function of such postings is probably to make the
opinions which it "supports" look ridiculous.

David
2006-06-03 12:13:45 EST
On 3 Jun 2006 07:11:41 -0700, anarcissie@gmail.com typed furiously:

>David wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:42:00 -0700, "AmerGovtCriminalsExposer"
>> <AmerGovtCriminalsExposer@americangovt.org> typed furiously:
>>
>> >Because the AMERICAN
>>
>> Another idiot who can't disable the Caps Lock key. That was as far as
>> I read.
>
>The function of such postings is probably to make the
>opinions which it "supports" look ridiculous.

It certainly makes the poster look ridiculous.