Technical Discussion: Mail-order Bookstores

Mail-order Bookstores

Petrus Pennanen
1991-01-21 16:23:45 EST
Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
students.

Thanks in advance!
--
Petrus Pennanen
{*n@cc,ppennane@kreeta}.helsinki.fi ppennanen@finuh (EARN)

Kouhia Juhana Krister
1991-01-21 18:32:21 EST

In article <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI> ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:
>Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
>cheap mail order educational bookstore?

Order directly from the publisher.
Pay beforehand or order the Pro Forma for the books.
If you don't pay beforehand, your books may come to local
bookstore and they will 'rob' you - there's some contracts exists
with the bookstores here and the publishers.

Pro Forma is the bill you pay through bank or you must send it back
with the check.

Best way might be that you ask publisher's count number, prices for
the books and the handling charges via FAX machine. And when they see
that you have payed the books they will send them to you.

Any other good ways to do the ordering?

Juhana Kouhia
j*7@tut.fi

Erik Odberg
1991-01-22 17:25:49 EST
In article <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI>, ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:
|> Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
|> cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
|> books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
|> expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
|> considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
|> students.
|>
|> Thanks in advance!
|> --
|> Petrus Pennanen
|> {ppennanen@cc,ppennane@kreeta}.helsinki.fi ppennanen@finuh (EARN)

What about Barnes & Noble @ 6th (??) Avenue, New York. They have a pretty
good collection of CS books. They claim they're the biggest bookstore in NY
(is that true?). I suppose they do mail order, and in that case they'll
probably accept VISA or other credit cards. It might be I can find the address
at home, but I suppose NY residents have better access to this information :-)

I have very good experiences with buying records from US paying by VISA. I
received the stuff only weeks after I sent the order form.

erik

Bjorn Ellertsson
1991-01-22 17:40:44 EST
I have had good experience only with

Buchhandlung
Mail Order Kaiser
Postfach 40 1209
D-8000 Munchen 40
Germany

Ordering from the US is easier said than done:

Payment by check will add 4-6 weeks while it "clears"

You'll have to pay (dearly) for transatlantic air mail

Surface mail is so slow that your books will be dated
before they arrive ;-)

Bjorn
-----
Bj"orn Ellertsson, Program in Computing, UCLA (213) 825-2251
Internet: bje@math.ucla.edu BITNET: bje%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT
UUCP:...!{ucsd,purdue,rutgers,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!bje

Michael Hart
1991-01-23 09:00:09 EST
In <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI> ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:

>Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
>cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
>books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
>expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
>considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
>students.

Try:

The Cucumber Bookshop, Inc.
5611 Kraft Drive
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone (301) 881-2722
Fax (301) 468-2920

"Ask for our free catalog"
"Checks/Visa/MasterCard/American Express"

I have no connection with Cucumber other than as a customer.

They have a very, very wide & good selection of computer books;
especially C, Unix, programming. I believe they carry the
entire line of O'Reilly Nutshell books, also.

Michael G. Hart hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil / mhart@oasys.dt.navy.mil
In Support of the Men of Desert Storm
-------------------------------------(=o=)------------------------------------

Laura E. Floom
1991-01-23 14:48:43 EST
In article <988@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> bje@math.ucla.edu (Bjorn Ellertsson) writes:

>You'll have to pay (dearly) for transatlantic air mail
>
>Surface mail is so slow that your books will be dated
>before they arrive ;-)

not true - we have a special book rate in this country. very cheap.
we even have an airmail book rate. quite cheap.

you can not include a letter or an elso with the books. if you do,
then they charge normal rates.

Kent Frazier
1991-01-24 12:24:52 EST
OPAMP Technical Books, Inc.
1033 N.Sycamore Ave.
Los Angeles, Ca 90038
(213) 464-4322

is an excellent bookstore for technical books (in particular Computer).
It has a mail order service. Their catalogue says:

To order by mail: specify title, author, publisher, quantity, (and page
number if ordering from their catalog). Include your physical address for
shipping. We cannot ship to a P.O. box.

They accept charge cards (include card type, card number, expiration date,
day time phone number), and checks (imprinted with name and address, and
with work & home phones, driver license no.,state, date of birth).

The only distinction they seem to make on shipping locations is inside
California, and outside California. While Finland falls into one of
those catagories, it might be worth while to check further.

Delivery and shipping charges

Availability Delivery time shipping charge
(approx)
In Stock 1-3 days $2.95 (1st book)
(outside Ca. $3.95)
.50 for each additional
book.

Out of Stock 4-5 weeks likewise

They also provide a RUSH service at addtional cost.

Ccmorris
1991-01-26 08:01:44 EST
One more...

Powell's Technical Bookstore
32 NW Eleventh Street
Portland, Oregon 97209
1-800-224-6911

Good Selection of all types of techie info: Computers, engineering,
chem, etc. I haven't mail-ordered to it but I know that they will

G. Bowden Wise
1991-01-26 13:37:38 EST
Two good mail-order book stores in the California bay area:

Casey's Books
University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA

Computer Literacy Bookstores
two stores in the bay area (San Jose and ?)

Sorry I dont have phone numbers; but, I have ordered from both and
they have a fast turn around.

Both have an excellent source of technical books and a knowledgeable
staff.
- Bowden Wise
Computer Science Dept, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy, NY 12180
internet: wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu bitnet: bowden@rpitsmts

Bruce Jolliffe
1991-01-26 18:51:00 EST
A good mail-order store serving Western Canada is

Siliconnections
3727 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver B.C. V6R 2G5
Canada
Tel: 222-2221

They carry large selection of computer books along with a few
business books and some science essay books. If they don't have it
they will order it.
--

Bruce Jolliffe University Computing Services
j*e@ucs.ubc.ca University of British Columbia