Sanskrit Discussion: Learning Sanskrit

Learning Sanskrit

Newbie
2006-03-11 20:28:31 EST
I want to learn Sanskrit online.

Is it possible?

Please guide me to the sites which will be of help to me in learning
Sanskrit.

Thanks & Regards.

S*@gmail.com
2006-03-11 22:11:59 EST
For Learning Sanskrit please check this link
http://www.saice.org/sanskrit/index.htm

or else you can also buy books of Prathma Diksha of Rashtriya Sanskrit
Sansthan.
e-mail them for details
r*s@nda.vsnl.net.in

Viresh Kashyap

Eki
2006-03-13 04:50:02 EST
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:58:31 +0530, "newbie" <jcd@refid.com> a écrit:

>I want to learn Sanskrit online.
>
>Is it possible?

I can understand some written French although I have never studied
it. Sanskrit has been my hobby for several years. Despite that
I can usually understand very litte of a text when I first read it.

The first thing I think you need to do when learning Sanskrit
is paying quite a lot attention to the sandhis, that is, euphonic
combination of words (external sandhi) or parts of words (internal
sandhi). A simple example of sandhi:

devena + eva + etat + iSTam becomes after sandhi

devenaivaitadiSTam

Ref: Michael Coulson, Sanskrit

>Please guide me to the sites which will be of help to me in learning
>Sanskrit.
>
>Thanks & Regards.

S*@gmail.com
2006-03-14 05:28:50 EST
That's no doubt true that you must know Sandhi's to understand
Sanskrit. But this applies if you intend to read the ancient
literature. In case you need to read and understand simple Sanskrit
then you may not know the finer details of Sandhi.
Samskrit Bharti, a Social Organisation is promulgating this simple fact
and making Sanskrit more acceptable and easy for use. You can visit
their site at
http://www.samskrita-bharati.org
Two magazines in Sanskrit I know are published with this very idea in
mind. Anyone who knows simple Sanskrit can easily understand the
contents of the magazines. You can look for the details of the
magazines at the following links
http://www.samskrita-bharati.org/newsite/magazines.php
As I had said in my previous mails the Prathma Diksha from Rashtriya
Samskrit Sansthan (Deemed University) is very helpful in getting
started and learning the basic Samskrit.

Viresh Kashyap

William J Giddings
2006-03-15 02:02:20 EST
Thanks for posting these useful links. The video downloads have the file
extension *.dat. Do you know what format are these supposed to be in?

sarva mangalam

WJG

s*m@gmail.com wrote:
> For Learning Sanskrit please check this link
> http://www.saice.org/sanskrit/index.htm
>
> or else you can also buy books of Prathma Diksha of Rashtriya Sanskrit
> Sansthan.
> e-mail them for details
> rsks@nda.vsnl.net.in
>
> Viresh Kashyap

S*@gmail.com
2006-03-15 10:17:56 EST
You can use Windows Media Player to play the *.dat Video files.
I hope you wanted to know this only.

Viresh Kashyap

William J Giddings
2006-03-15 11:57:12 EST
Viresh

Many thanks. The files have loaded. Most delightful.

WJG

s*m@gmail.com wrote:
> You can use Windows Media Player to play the *.dat Video files.
> I hope you wanted to know this only.
>
> Viresh Kashyap

Animesh Kumar
2006-03-15 15:41:09 EST
William J Giddings wrote:
> Thanks for posting these useful links. The video downloads have the file
> extension *.dat. Do you know what format are these supposed to be in?
>
> sarva mangalam
>
> WJG

Try playing in Windows media player. I am unsure about linux; or use any
player which plays archaic VCD format.

> samajdharm@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> For Learning Sanskrit please check this link
>> http://www.saice.org/sanskrit/index.htm
>>
>> or else you can also buy books of Prathma Diksha of Rashtriya Sanskrit
>> Sansthan. e-mail them for details rsks@nda.vsnl.net.in
>>
>> Viresh Kashyap

S*@gmail.com
2006-03-19 21:56:32 EST
FOR STEP BY STEP LEARNING SANSKRIT

http://www.chitrapurmath.net/sanskrit/step-by-step.htm

Cico
2006-03-25 22:06:31 EST
newbie wrote:
> I want to learn Sanskrit online.
>
> Is it possible?
>
> Please guide me to the sites which will be of help to me in learning
> Sanskrit.
>
> Thanks & Regards.

Hello!
Here you can find many links: