Sanskrit Discussion: Query On Annapoornashtakam

Query On Annapoornashtakam

Animesh K
2006-05-02 19:02:28 EST
Annapoornashtakam, by Adi Shankaracharya, is a well known poem. I have a
question relating to grammatical usage in the poem.

Usually, an imperative verb (li.t lakaar) is preceded by a vocative
(sambodhana); for example:-

putra vada|

In Annapoornashtakam, there is an imperative verb preceded by
nominatives, for example,

nityaanandakarii varaabhayakarii saundaryaratnaakarii
nirdhuutaakhilaghorapaavanakarii pratyak.samaahe"svarii
praaleyaacalava.m"sapaavanakarii kaa"siipuraadhii"svarii
bhik.saa.m dehi k.rpaavalambanakarii maataa.annapuur.ne"svarii

(see devanaagarii here: http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_devii/annapurna.gif )

Arguably the nominatives can be replaced by vocatives, however, it
destroys the metric structure -- "saarduulavikrii.dita -- of the poem.

Question: It would be great if someone explains the grammatical basis
for Nominative case usage. Also, if it is similar to "bhavatii
bhik.saa.m dehi" then how to best translate it in english?

Best regards,
Animesh

Animesh K
2006-05-05 14:41:32 EST
Animesh K wrote:
> Annapoornashtakam, by Adi Shankaracharya, is a well known poem. I have a
> question relating to grammatical usage in the poem.
>
> Usually, an imperative verb (li.t lakaar) is preceded by a vocative
> (sambodhana); for example:-
>
> putra vada|
>
> In Annapoornashtakam, there is an imperative verb preceded by
> nominatives, for example,
>
> nityaanandakarii varaabhayakarii saundaryaratnaakarii
> nirdhuutaakhilaghorapaavanakarii pratyak.samaahe"svarii
> praaleyaacalava.m"sapaavanakarii kaa"siipuraadhii"svarii
> bhik.saa.m dehi k.rpaavalambanakarii maataa.annapuur.ne"svarii
>
> (see devanaagarii here: http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_devii/annapurna.gif )
>
> Arguably the nominatives can be replaced by vocatives, however, it
> destroys the metric structure -- "saarduulavikrii.dita -- of the poem.
>
> Question: It would be great if someone explains the grammatical basis
> for Nominative case usage. Also, if it is similar to "bhavatii
> bhik.saa.m dehi" then how to best translate it in english?
>
> Best regards,
> Animesh

Someone help me!

Neeraj Mathur
2006-05-05 15:24:38 EST

"Animesh K" <animesh1978@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Animesh K wrote:
>> Annapoornashtakam, by Adi Shankaracharya, is a well known poem. I have a
>> question relating to grammatical usage in the poem.
>>
>> Usually, an imperative verb (li.t lakaar) is preceded by a vocative
>> (sambodhana); for example:-
>>
>> putra vada|
>>
>> In Annapoornashtakam, there is an imperative verb preceded by
>> nominatives, for example,
>>
>> nityaanandakarii varaabhayakarii saundaryaratnaakarii
>> nirdhuutaakhilaghorapaavanakarii pratyak.samaahe"svarii
>> praaleyaacalava.m"sapaavanakarii kaa"siipuraadhii"svarii
>> bhik.saa.m dehi k.rpaavalambanakarii maataa.annapuur.ne"svarii
>>
>> (see devanaagarii here: http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_devii/annapurna.gif )
>>
>> Arguably the nominatives can be replaced by vocatives, however, it
>> destroys the metric structure -- "saarduulavikrii.dita -- of the poem.
>>
>> Question: It would be great if someone explains the grammatical basis for
>> Nominative case usage. Also, if it is similar to "bhavatii bhik.saa.m
>> dehi" then how to best translate it in english?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Animesh
>
> Someone help me!

Hi,

I'll be revising my Sanskrit texts for my exams over the next few weeks and
will keep an eye out for this construction elsewhere, but my impression is
that this is not rare at all. You can either consider it slightly loose
Sanskrit, or perhaps a better way of doing it is to think of the nominatives
in apposition to the subject of the verb. They would thus be in the correct
case. You could also think of it as though there is an unexpressed 'tvam
yaa' in there: 'You who are the lady of ..., give alms'.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about this particular metre to be able to
determine whether a change to vocatives (by shortening the final -ii to -i
in most of the compounds) would be better or worse, but grammatically at
least, it's not necessary to make sense of the text.

Neeraj Mathur

Eki
2006-05-07 03:42:22 EST
Fri, 5 May 2006 20:24:38 +0100, "Neeraj Mathur"
<*r@hotmail.com> a écrit:

>"Animesh K" <animesh1978@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Animesh K wrote:
>>> Annapoornashtakam, by Adi Shankaracharya, is a well known poem. I have a
>>> question relating to grammatical usage in the poem.
>>>
>>> Usually, an imperative verb (li.t lakaar) is preceded by a vocative
>>> (sambodhana); for example:-
>>>
>>> putra vada|
>>>
>>> In Annapoornashtakam, there is an imperative verb preceded by
>>> nominatives, for example,
>>>
>>> nityaanandakarii varaabhayakarii saundaryaratnaakarii
>>> nirdhuutaakhilaghorapaavanakarii pratyak.samaahe"svarii
>>> praaleyaacalava.m"sapaavanakarii kaa"siipuraadhii"svarii
>>> bhik.saa.m dehi k.rpaavalambanakarii maataa.annapuur.ne"svarii
>>>
>>> (see devanaagarii here: http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_devii/annapurna.gif )
>>>
>>> Arguably the nominatives can be replaced by vocatives, however, it
>>> destroys the metric structure -- "saarduulavikrii.dita -- of the poem.

Is a metrical lengthening at all possible, as is the case rather
often, say, in Rgveda?

For instance, from puruSa-suukta:

ato jyaayaaMz ca *puuruSaH*

Or II 33 12:

prati naanaama (pada-paaTha: nanaama) Rudropayantam

>>> Question: It would be great if someone explains the grammatical basis for
>>> Nominative case usage. Also, if it is similar to "bhavatii bhik.saa.m
>>> dehi" then how to best translate it in english?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Animesh
>>
>> Someone help me!
>
>Hi,
>
>I'll be revising my Sanskrit texts for my exams over the next few weeks and
>will keep an eye out for this construction elsewhere, but my impression is
>that this is not rare at all. You can either consider it slightly loose
>Sanskrit, or perhaps a better way of doing it is to think of the nominatives
>in apposition to the subject of the verb. They would thus be in the correct
>case. You could also think of it as though there is an unexpressed 'tvam
>yaa' in there: 'You who are the lady of ..., give alms'.
>
>I'm afraid I don't know enough about this particular metre to be able to
>determine whether a change to vocatives (by shortening the final -ii to -i
>in most of the compounds) would be better or worse, but grammatically at
>least, it's not necessary to make sense of the text.
>
>Neeraj Mathur

Animesh K
2006-05-07 15:56:22 EST
eki wrote:
> Fri, 5 May 2006 20:24:38 +0100, "Neeraj Mathur"
> <neemathur@hotmail.com> a écrit:
>

>>"Animesh K" <animesh1978@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is a metrical lengthening at all possible, as is the case rather
> often, say, in Rgveda?
>
> For instance, from puruSa-suukta:
>
> ato jyaayaaMz ca *puuruSaH*
>
> Or II 33 12:
>
> prati naanaama (pada-paaTha: nanaama) Rudropayantam

Hi Eki:

I am sorry, but I don't know about Vedic writing and the meters used in
there.

Best,
> <snip>

Animesh K
2006-05-07 15:59:41 EST
Neeraj Mathur wrote:

> "Animesh K" <animesh1978@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Animesh K wrote:
>>
>>>Annapoornashtakam, by Adi Shankaracharya, is a well known poem. I have a
>>>question relating to grammatical usage in the poem.
>>>
>>>Usually, an imperative verb (li.t lakaar) is preceded by a vocative
>>>(sambodhana); for example:-
>>>
>>>putra vada|
>>>
>>>In Annapoornashtakam, there is an imperative verb preceded by
>>>nominatives, for example,
>>>
>>>nityaanandakarii varaabhayakarii saundaryaratnaakarii
>>>nirdhuutaakhilaghorapaavanakarii pratyak.samaahe"svarii
>>>praaleyaacalava.m"sapaavanakarii kaa"siipuraadhii"svarii
>>>bhik.saa.m dehi k.rpaavalambanakarii maataa.annapuur.ne"svarii
>>>
>>>(see devanaagarii here: http://sanskrit.gde.to/doc_devii/annapurna.gif )
>>>
>>>Arguably the nominatives can be replaced by vocatives, however, it
>>>destroys the metric structure -- "saarduulavikrii.dita -- of the poem.
>>>
>>>Question: It would be great if someone explains the grammatical basis for
>>>Nominative case usage. Also, if it is similar to "bhavatii bhik.saa.m
>>>dehi" then how to best translate it in english?
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Animesh
>>
>>Someone help me!
>

> Hi,
>
> I'll be revising my Sanskrit texts for my exams over the next few weeks and
> will keep an eye out for this construction elsewhere, but my impression is
> that this is not rare at all. You can either consider it slightly loose
> Sanskrit, or perhaps a better way of doing it is to think of the nominatives
> in apposition to the subject of the verb. They would thus be in the correct
> case. You could also think of it as though there is an unexpressed 'tvam
> yaa' in there: 'You who are the lady of ..., give alms'.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know enough about this particular metre to be able to
> determine whether a change to vocatives (by shortening the final -ii to -i
> in most of the compounds) would be better or worse, but grammatically at
> least, it's not necessary to make sense of the text.
>
> Neeraj Mathur

Thanks for the reply, Neeraj! Your suggestions do make sense and I
interpreted the cantos in a similar spirit. "May Annapoorna, Who is ...,
gives me alms."

However, I wanted to know if there are more instances of the same
(bhavatii bhik.saa.m dehi, for instance). I had discussed this with a
knowledgable expert of the Sanskrit language and he suggested the same.
I think it is a good brain-teaser.

There is another brain-teaser which I will discuss in another post.

About the meter: if you replace nominatives by vocative, then take my
word that shaarduul-vikriiDita meter gets destroyed :-). I can discuss
this elsewhere (email me) with you.

Best regards,
Animesh

Eki
2006-05-08 04:41:36 EST
Sun, 07 May 2006 12:56:22 -0700, Animesh K <animesh1978@gmail.com> a
écrit:

>eki wrote:
>> Fri, 5 May 2006 20:24:38 +0100, "Neeraj Mathur"
>> <neemathur@hotmail.com> a écrit:
>>

>>>"Animesh K" <animesh1978@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Is a metrical lengthening at all possible, as is the case rather
>> often, say, in Rgveda?
>>
>> For instance, from puruSa-suukta:
>>
>> ato jyaayaaMz ca *puuruSaH*
>>
>> Or II 33 12:
>>
>> prati naanaama (pada-paaTha: nanaama) Rudropayantam
>>

>Hi Eki:
>
>I am sorry, but I don't know about Vedic writing and the meters used in
>there.
>
>Best,
>> <snip>

Well, FWIW, I believe most of Giitaa is in anuSTup, and it seems
to me according to Coulson the last syllable of the second
and fourth paadas of anuSTup should be long. For instance
in I 8 (bhavaan bhiiSmaz ca karNaz ca...) the last 'ca' (...tathaiva
ca) sounds to me like 'caa'.

Animesh K
2006-05-08 14:29:03 EST
eki wrote:
> Sun, 07 May 2006 12:56:22 -0700, Animesh K <animesh1978@gmail.com> a
<snip>

> Well, FWIW, I believe most of Giitaa is in anuSTup, and it seems
> to me according to Coulson the last syllable of the second
> and fourth paadas of anuSTup should be long. For instance
> in I 8 (bhavaan bhiiSmaz ca karNaz ca...) the last 'ca' (...tathaiva
> ca) sounds to me like 'caa'.

Yes Gita (and many Purana, Valmiki Ramayana) etc are in anu.s.tupa
v.rtti. But! Last syllable can be a laghu or a guru, regardless of what
the meter demands -- thus the last syllable is flexible according to the
conventions.

In Annapoornashtakam, last syllable is *not the only syllable* which
gets altered by Nominative -> vocative changes.

Best,

Animesh K
2006-05-08 14:35:30 EST
Animesh K wrote:

> eki wrote:
>
>> Sun, 07 May 2006 12:56:22 -0700, Animesh K <animesh1978@gmail.com> a
>
> <snip>
>

>> Well, FWIW, I believe most of Giitaa is in anuSTup, and it seems
>> to me according to Coulson the last syllable of the second
>> and fourth paadas of anuSTup should be long. For instance
>> in I 8 (bhavaan bhiiSmaz ca karNaz ca...) the last 'ca' (...tathaiva
>> ca) sounds to me like 'caa'.
>

> Yes Gita (and many Purana, Valmiki Ramayana) etc are in anu.s.tupa
> v.rtti. But! Last syllable can be a laghu or a guru, regardless of what
> the meter demands -- thus the last syllable is flexible according to the
> conventions.
>
> In Annapoornashtakam, last syllable is *not the only syllable* which
> gets altered by Nominative -> vocative changes.
>
> Best,

One more point: anu.s.tupa just requires that you have *eight* syllables
in each cara.na or foot; and I don't know of any last syllable
restriction in anu.s.tupa (except for var.na v.rtta like vidyunmaalaa).

There are commong syllable weight restrictions for intermediate
syllables, however.

Best,