Sanskrit Discussion: Absolutely New, Help With "graphic"

Absolutely New, Help With "graphic"

Alok Nartano
2006-05-07 14:53:34 EST
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm writing to ask for a little help.
I have a couple words which I'd love to see written in sanskrit letters
and thought to ask here!
Words are "Alok" (light) and "Nartano" (dancer).
Thanx for any help!

--
Sw. Alok Nartano (27, 163, NA)

Vanja Stefanec
2006-05-07 17:15:29 EST
Alok Nartano wrote:
> Hi all, I'm new here and I'm writing to ask for a little help.
> I have a couple words which I'd love to see written in sanskrit letters
> and thought to ask here!
> Words are "Alok" (light) and "Nartano" (dancer).
> Thanx for any help!

Hi!

Download and install ITRANS (free program for converting text from latin
to devanagari) from this site:
http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/Itranslt.html

After installing write any text into ITRANS window and click "convert".

Note: "dancer" is "nartana" (undeclined), "nartano" is from "nartanaH"
(N.sg.)

:)

Alok Nartano
2006-05-07 17:40:42 EST
Vanja Stefanec ha scritto:

> After installing write any text into ITRANS window and click "convert".

Thanx! I know more than a person who'd like the same thing, so thanx
from them as well!

> Note: "dancer" is "nartana" (undeclined), "nartano" is from "nartanaH"
> (N.sg.)

Funny. The point is I received the words like I wrote them, with the
english translation. Wondering how many of the same errors are out there!

--
Sw. Alok Nartano (27, 163, NA)

Animesh K
2006-05-07 18:10:12 EST
Vanja Stefanec wrote:

> Alok Nartano wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I'm new here and I'm writing to ask for a little help.
>> I have a couple words which I'd love to see written in sanskrit
>> letters and thought to ask here!
>> Words are "Alok" (light) and "Nartano" (dancer).
>> Thanx for any help!
>>

> Hi!
>
> Download and install ITRANS (free program for converting text from latin
> to devanagari) from this site:
> http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/Itranslt.html
>
> After installing write any text into ITRANS window and click "convert".
>
> Note: "dancer" is "nartana" (undeclined), "nartano" is from "nartanaH"
> (N.sg.)
>
> :)

Just for one line, I think he can use their online tool:

www.aczoom.com/itrans/online

Best,

Vanja Stefanec
2006-05-07 18:28:09 EST
Alok Nartano wrote:

> Funny. The point is I received the words like I wrote them, with the
> english translation. Wondering how many of the same errors are out there!

Hmm, I don't know what you mean... Where did you get these words from?

Alok Nartano
2006-05-07 18:44:30 EST
Vanja Stefanec ha scritto:

> Hmm, I don't know what you mean... Where did you get these words from?

Sannyas names. They send you the name with the english meaning, pretty
much the way I posted mine.
So if there was an error in mine, I wonder how many of the hundrends of
thousands of Sannyasins out there have a misspelled name!

--
Sw. Alok Nartano (27, 163, NA)

Vanja Stefanec
2006-05-07 19:10:06 EST
Alok Nartano wrote:

> Sannyas names. They send you the name with the english meaning, pretty
> much the way I posted mine.
> So if there was an error in mine, I wonder how many of the hundrends of
> thousands of Sannyasins out there have a misspelled name!

I see... Well, I didn't say that it isn't correct.

I thougt that you found these words in a dictionary where all nouns are
in their crude form. Then it would be misspelled.

But as a name... I can't tell. It's probably OK.

Eki
2006-05-08 05:04:43 EST

Mon, 08 May 2006 00:44:30 +0200, Alok Nartano <acurci@hotmail.com> a
écrit:

>Vanja Stefanec ha scritto:
>
>> Hmm, I don't know what you mean... Where did you get these words from?
>
>Sannyas names. They send you the name with the english meaning, pretty
>much the way I posted mine.
>So if there was an error in mine, I wonder how many of the hundrends of
>thousands of Sannyasins out there have a misspelled name!

Perhaps you want to know what "a-loka" and "aa-loka" mean in Sanskrit:

1 aloka m. `" not the world "' , the end of the world R. i , 37 , 12 ,
the immaterial or spiritual world Jain. (%{a4-lokas}) m. pl. not the
people , S Br. xiv ; (%{a-loka4}) mfn. not having space , finding no
place S3Br.

2 Aloka [= aaloka -- eki] m. looking , seeing , beholding ; sight ,
aspect , vision Katha1s. Megh. Mr2icch. S3ak. Ragh. &c. ; light ,
lustre , splendour ; glimmer R. MBh. ; flattery , praise ,
complimentary language ; panegyric Ragh. ; section , chapter ; N. of
wk.

I guess you don't want your name in Sanskrit to mean
"the end of the world", etc.... : )

Alok Nartano
2006-05-08 16:13:21 EST
Vanja Stefanec ha scritto:

> After installing write any text into ITRANS window and click "convert".

Am I wrong or it translates letter by letter and not the exact word?

--
Sw. Alok Nartano (27, 163, NA)

Vanja Stefanec
2006-05-10 04:47:16 EST
Alok Nartano wrote:

> Am I wrong or it translates letter by letter and not the exact word?

That's correct. Devanagari is not logographic writing system. It's
abugida (alphasyllabary) writing system. That means that every grapheme
consists of a consonat and a vowel...

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari