Sanskrit Discussion: Is Anuswar Guru Or Laghu?

Is Anuswar Guru Or Laghu?

Coolblue
2007-07-11 08:12:32 EST
is anuswar/anuswara guru or laghu?

Eddie Hadley
2007-07-11 21:38:59 EST
It's just a nasal 'after-sound' - guru or laghu do not apply.

If you are thinking of Om - the nasal is prolonged, you want the resonance.

Beginning with the O in the belly, and ending with the m in the head, the
resonance travels up.
The resonance - I'm trying not to say vibration - grabs the attention of
the mind which follows it as it travels along, within.
It occupies the mind and keeps it out of mischief, as it were.

After a while the rhythm becomes semi automatic, and a light begins to shine
in the head, literally.

The Om simply creates the circumstances, for the results to appear.

If your are thinking of Vedic hymns and such, there are Web sites that give
you the sound - but really they are lost in the mists of time - there is
little consensus!

Eddie

"coolblue" <sameerkumarkaushik@gmail.com> wrote in message
> is anuswar/anuswara guru or laghu?

Coolblue
2007-07-12 02:36:23 EST
On Jul 12, 6:38 am, "Eddie Hadley" <edd...@ontology.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> It's just a nasal 'after-sound' - guru or laghu do not apply.
>
> If you are thinking of Om - the nasal is prolonged, you want the resonance.
>
> Beginning with the O in the belly, and ending with the m in the head, the
> resonance travels up.
> The resonance - I'm trying not to say vibration - grabs the attention of
> the mind which follows it as it travels along, within.
> It occupies the mind and keeps it out of mischief, as it were.
>
> After a while the rhythm becomes semi automatic, and a light begins to shine
> in the head, literally.
>
> The Om simply creates the circumstances, for the results to appear.
>
> If your are thinking of Vedic hymns and such, there are Web sites that give
> you the sound - but really they are lost in the mists of time - there is
> little consensus!
>
> Eddie
>
> "coolblue" <sameerkumarkaus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > is anuswar/anuswara guru or laghu?- Hide quoted text -

well, i was trying to find out the guru laghu sequence for a
particulat word in sanskrit which ends with an anuswar. the word is
say if we substitue 1 for guru and 0 for laghu the
sequence would be: 0111010001(if anuswar is considered as guru) or
0111010000 (if anuswar is considered as laghu). what would be the
seuence for yamaataaraajabhaanasalagaam ?

Coolblue
2007-07-12 02:38:24 EST
On Jul 12, 11:36 am, coolblue <sameerkumarkaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 6:38 am, "Eddie Hadley" <edd...@ontology.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> > It's just a nasal 'after-sound' - guru or laghu do not apply.
>
> > If you are thinking of Om - the nasal is prolonged, you want the resonance.
>
> > Beginning with the O in the belly, and ending with the m in the head, the
> > resonance travels up.
> > The resonance - I'm trying not to say vibration - grabs the attention of
> > the mind which follows it as it travels along, within.
> > It occupies the mind and keeps it out of mischief, as it were.
>
> > After a while the rhythm becomes semi automatic, and a light begins to shine
> > in the head, literally.
>
> > The Om simply creates the circumstances, for the results to appear.
>
> > If your are thinking of Vedic hymns and such, there are Web sites that give
> > you the sound - but really they are lost in the mists of time - there is
> > little consensus!
>
> > Eddie
>
> > "coolblue" <sameerkumarkaus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > is anuswar/anuswara guru or laghu?- Hide quoted text -

> well, i was trying to find out the guru laghu sequence for a
> particulat word in sanskrit which ends with an anuswar. the word is
> say if we substitue 1 for guru and 0 for laghu the
> sequence would be: 0111010001(if anuswar is considered as guru) or
> 0111010000 (if anuswar is considered as laghu). what would be the
> seuence for yamaataaraajabhaanasalagaam ?- Hide quoted text -

well, i was trying to find out the guru laghu sequence for a
particulat word in sanskrit which ends with an anuswar. the word is
yamaataaraajabhaanasalagam. say if we substitue 1 for guru and 0 for
laghu the sequence would be: 0111010001(if anuswar is considered as
guru) or
0111010000 (if anuswar is considered as laghu). what would be the
sequence for yamaataaraajabhaanasalagaam ?

Eddie Hadley
2007-07-12 12:23:43 EST
For Indian prosody, try this lot:

http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Prosody-Articles/index.htmBut go here first to get the ITM_TMS font:http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/download/index.htmEddie>> well, i was trying to find out the guru laghu sequence for a> particulat word in sanskrit which ends with an anuswar. the word is> say if we substitue 1 for guru and 0 for laghu the> sequence would be: 0111010001(if anuswar is considered as guru) or> 0111010000 (if anuswar is considered as laghu). what would be the> seuence for yamaataaraajabhaanasalagaam ?>>

Eddie Hadley
2007-07-12 13:27:20 EST
For Indian prosody, try this lot:
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Prosody-Articles/index.htm

But go here first if you need the ITM_TMS font: