Sanskrit Discussion: [Q]: Spukasam

V*@googlemail.com
2008-07-15 11:46:05 EST
Hi,

What could it mean in context of a praise: spukasam ?

I don't have any real transliteration, so the word could be just
phonetic transliteration.
I didn't find any similar words in the Köln dictionary.

Thanks,

Victor

Nath Rao
2008-07-15 12:27:09 EST
v*e@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What could it mean in context of a praise: spukasam ?
>
> I don't have any real transliteration, so the word could be just
> phonetic transliteration.
> I didn't find any similar words in the Köln dictionary.

Can you give the actual context, perhaps the whole sentence?
[It is hard to say if it is mixed up due to strange pronunciation
or wrong word division, or what)

Nath Rao

V*@googlemail.com
2008-07-20 05:05:32 EST
Hi Nath,

Here is the URL: http://uddiyana.ru/temp/21tara_backs.pdf
In this PDF file the word could be found on page 6, left side
(Sankskrit is in bold):

om namah spukasam/
namah tāraye tāra mi tāra

Thanks!

Victor

On Jul 15, 6:27 pm, Nath Rao <XrTaHoEnCaAt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> vk7...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > What could it mean in context of a praise: spukasam ?
>
> > I don't have any real transliteration, so the word could be just
> > phonetic transliteration.
> > I didn't find any similar words in the Köln dictionary.
>
> Can you give the actual context, perhaps the whole sentence?
> [It is hard to say if it is mixed up due to strange pronunciation
> or wrong word division, or what)
>
> Nath Rao

Nath Rao
2008-07-27 10:52:22 EST
v*e@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi Nath,
>
> Here is the URL: http://uddiyana.ru/temp/21tara_backs.pdf
> In this PDF file the word could be found on page 6, left side
> (Sankskrit is in bold):
>
> om namah spukasam/
> namah tāraye tāra mi tāra

To go by Martin Wilson, In praise of Tara (available on Google Books),
p 55 with the notes on p. 381, this might be non-word. The manuscripts
Wilson used differ, with most giving 'sukasam', which Wilson emends to
'suukasaam'. This might be word borrowed from a non-indian language, in
which case I have no clue.

Regards
Nath Rao

Eddie Hadley
2008-07-27 12:57:02 EST
All,

I can't help but be thinking 'sukha', in such a context, or maybe su + kasa (mfn. beam, shine)

or again:

sukhāśā
• f. the hope of pleasure or enjoyment, Pañcat.
• (su-kh) expectation which exists only in empty space (or is very remote). [1222,1]

Eddie

<*e@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d4ca918a-2590-4907-96b5-fcd95c1f4fdf@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
Hi,

What could it mean in context of a praise: spukasam ?

I don't have any real transliteration, so the word could be just
phonetic transliteration.
I didn't find any similar words in the Kln dictionary.

Thanks,

Victor

V*@googlemail.com
2008-08-02 04:03:21 EST
Thanks, Nath, Eddie!

On 27 Jul., 18:57, "Eddie Hadley" <edd...@ontology.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> All,
>
>     I can't help but be thinking 'sukha', in such a context, or maybe su + kasa (mfn. beam, shine)
>
> or again:
>
> sukhāśā
> • f. the hope of pleasure or enjoyment, Pañcat.
> • (su-kh) expectation which exists only in empty space (or is very remote). [1222,1]
>
> Eddie
>
>   <vk7...@googlemail.com> wrote in messagenews:d4ca918a-2590-4907-96b5-fcd95c1f4fdf@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
>
>   Hi,
>
>   What could it mean in context of a praise: spukasam ?
>
>   I don't have any real transliteration, so the word could be just
>   phonetic transliteration.
>   I didn't find any similar words in the Kln dictionary.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Victor

Ecky
2008-08-15 04:26:38 EST
scribsit Nath Rao :

> vk77de@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Hi Nath,
>>
>> Here is the URL: http://uddiyana.ru/temp/21tara_backs.pdf In this PDF
>> file the word could be found on page 6, left side (Sankskrit is in
>> bold):
>>
>> om namah spukasam/
>> namah tāraye tāra mi tāra
>
> To go by Martin Wilson, In praise of Tara (available on Google Books), p
> 55 with the notes on p. 381, this might be non-word. The manuscripts
> Wilson used differ, with most giving 'sukasam', which Wilson emends to
> 'suukasaam'.

In Finnish, 'suukasa' would mean mouth(suu)-heap(kasa), which,
of course, is rather non-sensical...