E-commerce Discussion: How To Reduce Spam From My Employees?

How To Reduce Spam From My Employees?

Michi
2004-07-15 08:00:35 EST
Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
internet. They are also using the companies email address to subscribe with
their email address in forums etc.

It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees have to
use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they surf on the
internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the companies email address
for private use.

I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people: Does it
make sense when employees using such services like myTrashMail.com to reduce
the spam coming to my company.

Thanks and regards

Mike

*Vanguard*
2004-07-15 11:01:07 EST
Michi said in news:cd5rlm$1rj9$1@dojima-n0.hi-ho.ne.jp:
> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
> internet. They are also using the companies email address to
> subscribe with their email address in forums etc.
>
> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees
> have to use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they
> surf on the internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the
> companies email address for private use.
>
> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people:
> Does it make sense when employees using such services like
> myTrashMail.com to reduce the spam coming to my company.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Mike

If you are going to *ask* your employees to use alternate e-mail addresses, then have them use disposable webmail accounts, like Hotmail or Yahoo. Then the spam won't even hit your domain and the employees can enable the anti-spam features at those sites (Yahoo's is proprietary but better than Hotmail's which uses Brightmail). I don't see anything special about myTrashmail.com as it looks to be just another webmail provider, and there are lots of those.

Or tell the employees to munge their e-mail address when posting in public venues, like chat rooms or usenet.

Or have them use challenge-response webmail providers, like BlueBottle (webmail only) or MailBlocks (webmail and POP3), but do NOT use these C-R services for business use as you will irritate your customers and e-mail delivery will become unreliable (challenges don't get answered, waiting for the sender to reply to a challenge induces delay, they get lost, or are now getting rejected by ISPs as "challenge spam"). I'm anti-C/R as it is currently implemented but I won't get into all the reasons why, but it is an option and I want to be fair in presenting to you what choices there are.

If you want to implement e-mail aliases (which is NOT the same as e-mail forwarding), look at Sneakemail.com (don't know if they are really setup yet to handle corporate-level traffic) or SpamEx. Once spam starts coming through an alias, just kill it (or disable it long enough for the spam flood to subside). I use Sneakemail for e-mail aliases but I don't see an option (for the freeibe account) to create timed aliases that will expire after a user-configurable timeout period. An advantage in using an alias comes when you dole out one unique alias per untrusted recipient. If spam ever comes back through that alias and since you only divulged it to one untrusted recipient (or in one public venue, like a chat room) then you know exactly from whence the spam originated. You can also use an alias to signup for a web site, like to write a review, because it will send back a confirmation e-mail that you have to receive to click a link to activate your membership (which you only want temporarily) before you can do your thing there, like write the review or register your software, and then just kill the alias since you don't want any further e-mails from them. For this purpose, that's why I would like a *timed* e-mail alias that expires itself by deleting itself. http://www.mailexpire.com/ does something like this (but the shortest expiration is 12 hours and I'd like just 1 or 2 hours). Haven't use mailexpire.com so I don't know if they can handle a corporate-level traffic load or it they are really trustworthy.

*Vanguard*
2004-07-15 11:02:27 EST
Michi said in news:cd5rlm$1rj9$1@dojima-n0.hi-ho.ne.jp:
> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
> internet. They are also using the companies email address to
> subscribe with their email address in forums etc.
>
> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees
> have to use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they
> surf on the internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the
> companies email address for private use.
>
> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people:
> Does it make sense when employees using such services like
> myTrashMail.com to reduce the spam coming to my company.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Mike

So what do you use for spam filtering? 300 sounds like a lot if there are only 5 employees but not much if there are 500 employees.

Nick N
2004-07-15 11:54:39 EST

"*Vanguard*" <lh_vanguard@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
Michi said in news:cd5rlm$1rj9$1@dojima-n0.hi-ho.ne.jp:
> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
> internet. They are also using the companies email address to
> subscribe with their email address in forums etc.
>
> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees
> have to use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they
> surf on the internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the
> companies email address for private use.
>
> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people:
> Does it make sense when employees using such services like
> myTrashMail.com to reduce the spam coming to my company.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Mike

>So what do you use for spam filtering? 300 sounds like a lot if there are
only 5 employees but not much if there >are 500 employees.

Uh, the email itself was spam.
Nick

Michi
2004-07-15 12:42:18 EST
Vanguard

Thanks for your detailed answer to my question.

Michael
"*Vanguard*" <lh_vanguard@mailblocks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

recipient (or in one public venue, like a chat room) then you know exactly
from whence the spam originated. You can also use an alias to signup for a
web site, like to write a review, because it will send back a confirmation
e-mail that you have to receive to click a link to activate your membership
(which you only want temporarily) before you can do your thing there, like
write the review or register your software, and then just kill the alias
since you don't want any further e-mails from them. For this purpose,
that's why I would like a *timed* e-mail alias that expires itself by
deleting itself. http://www.mailexpire.com/ does something like this (but
the shortest expiration is 12 hours and I'd like just 1 or 2 hours).
Haven't use mailexpire.com so I don't know if they can handle a
corporate-level traffic load or it they are really trustworthy.

Steven M Remove Dirt And Invalid To Reply
2004-07-15 14:11:09 EST
Je Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:00:35 +0900, "Michi" <wwwmike@gmx.ch> skribis:

>Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
>internet. They are also using the companies email address to subscribe with
>their email address in forums etc.
>
>It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
>filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees have to
>use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they surf on the
>internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the companies email address
>for private use.

A friend of mine works at a large company and was getting lots of
spam. Most of it originated from when he had just been hired, used
high-speed Internet access at work, and signed up for all kinds of
junk.

If I was a manager, I would forbid the use of company email address
for mailing lists, forums, discussion groups, etc., unless it was on
company business. I would also make sure that all employees knew and
understood this policy.

Every company's culture is a little bit different, so I don't know the
best way to get this across, but I think it's serious enough to be
included in these forums, at a minimum: New hire orientation, company
newsletter or bulletin, email notice to all employees, all-hands
meeting, etc.

Next: As somebody else said, 300 spams might not be that much
depending on company size. I know a small office (three people) that
was getting 100 a day.

Next: You didn't say anything about what kind of filtering you use.
You might have to ask your IT people to make some improvements in that
area. At a minimum, you should be considering blocklists, such as
those available from Spamhaus.org (the SBL and XBL).

www.spamhaus.org

--
Steve M - unspam@houston.rrdirt.com (remove dirt for reply)

If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

Bob
2004-07-15 17:57:42 EST
Careful www.myTrashMail.com could be a front for spammers, BigMailBox
is/was and they offered the same sort of thing, free, and about 2 to 3
months later, you start getting the spam, as they sell your name to
spammers.
Stick with yahoo. Don't let them do anything at work, it causes work for IT
in cleaning up the computers from junk that gets put on, spyware etc. Cost
too much to fix

"Michi" <wwwmike@gmx.ch> wrote in message
> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
> internet. They are also using the companies email address to subscribe
with
> their email address in forums etc.
>
> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees have to
> use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they surf on the
> internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the companies email address
> for private use.
>
> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people: Does it
> make sense when employees using such services like myTrashMail.com to
reduce
> the spam coming to my company.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Mike

*Vanguard*
2004-07-16 00:41:15 EST
"Nick N" <nnote@despammed.com>
wrote in news:hNxJc.2600$SD3.1563@okepread06:
> "*Vanguard*" <lh_vanguard@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> Michi said in news:cd5rlm$1rj9$1@dojima-n0.hi-ho.ne.jp:
>> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
>> internet. They are also using the companies email address to
>> subscribe with their email address in forums etc.
>>
>> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
>> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees
>> have to use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they
>> surf on the internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the
>> companies email address for private use.
>>
>> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people:
>> Does it make sense when employees using such services like
>> myTrashMail.com to reduce the spam coming to my company.
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>>
>> Mike
>
>> So what do you use for spam filtering? 300 sounds like a lot if
>> there are
> only 5 employees but not much if there >are 500 employees.
>
> Uh, the email itself was spam.
> Nick

5 users generating 300 spams due to their ignorant misuse of their company e-mail address is a ration of 60 spams per person (per day). That's a lot per person. However, if there were 500 employees doing the same then each is only getting 0.6 spams per day (or 5 spams every 3 days). At such a low rate, I can't see an employee would be so hypersensitive that they could delete the few spams they get. Such a low count would not be impacting their work schedule. Since most anti-spam products only achieve an 80% to 90% hit rate on spam (while trying maintain a less than 1% hit rate on false positives), maybe the OP's filtering is working as good as it can and other solutions may not provide a better filtering rate. So, yes, getting 300 spams leaking past your filter sounds like a lot if only a few employees were getting slammed with them, but it sure sounds low if you have hundreds of employees. There is no perfect filter or scheme for getting rid of spam (and some folks' definition of spam seems pretty loose and includes undesirable e-mails, too, rather than just UBE or UCE).

Saying you still get 300 spams leaking past the filter but not noting how many total messages got processed and how many spams DID get caught doesn't really give any idea if the spam filtering is working well or not. 300 spams leaking past the filter out of 300 received is obviously not filtering any of them. Getting 300 out of 3000 sent means 90% got caught. 300 spams per day distributed across 5 employees is a lot of spam. 300 spams per day distributed across 500 employees is such a minor inconvenience per employee that you'll increase productivity more by putting regular coffee in the decaf can. ;-)

Mark G
2004-07-16 11:56:46 EST

"Michi" <wwwmike@gmx.ch> wrote in message
> Some of our employees use the internet during lunch break to sure the
> internet. They are also using the companies email address to subscribe
with
> their email address in forums etc.
>
> It has come to a point that we get daily around 300 spam email (after
> filtering). Another business partner told me that their employees have
> use www.myTrashMail.com temporary email service when they surf on the
> internet. It is strictly forbidden to give out the companies email
address
> for private use.

<Apologies to the other groups, I would reset follow-ups to one
group,but I'm not sure which one he reads.>

Michi/Michael Weber (Google/Whois)

I'm confused. Why would your business partner be using your site,
mytrashemail, and not your own employees. It would seem to be in your
best interest to use your own product.

> I am not a IT professional so I am asking you intelligent people: Does
it
> make sense when employees using such services like myTrashMail.com to
reduce
> the spam coming to my company.

You should have asked that before you started mytrashemail. The answer
is no.

Next time be more honest. You likely trashed any goodwill you could have
earned by posting BS like this. I will happily tell people not to use
your site because of this misleading post. It makes it impossible for me
to trust your motives.

$$$$LOTTO
2004-08-07 08:59:59 EST
http://www.e-vwd.com/m.asp?m=17584FE&m5=1