Computers Discussion: Cartridge Factors Affecting Combo Printer-scanner-fax-scanner Selection

Cartridge Factors Affecting Combo Printer-scanner-fax-scanner Selection

Jigo
2013-08-01 22:23:22 EST
I want to replace my 15-year-old printer with a combo as above. A
computer tech I talked to said that looking at the cost of replacement
cartridges was one of the most important factors. Here's where I ran
into trouble. What needs to be replaced periodically? On my printer it
is just the print cartridge, which I get at reasonable prices from
discount stores. Are there other things that run out on the combo
machines that I don't have to consider with a simple printer (e.g.
toner). I see various supplies listed at the combo supply sites.

BTW, I was considering the Toshiba SD-V296 DVD Player/VCR Combo,the
Canon Pixma MX452, Canon Pixma MX392, Epson WorkForce WF-2540,and HP
Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One. Is there a big difference in price/quality
between the inkjet and laser types?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
j*5@optimum.net

Gernot Hassenpflug
2013-08-02 04:15:09 EST
jigo <jigo@home.com> writes:

> I want to replace my 15-year-old printer with a combo as above. A
> computer tech I talked to said that looking at the cost of replacement
> cartridges was one of the most important factors. Here's where I ran
> into trouble. What needs to be replaced periodically? On my printer it
> is just the print cartridge, which I get at reasonable prices from
> discount stores. Are there other things that run out on the combo
> machines that I don't have to consider with a simple printer
> (e.g. toner). I see various supplies listed at the combo supply sites.
>
> BTW, I was considering the Toshiba SD-V296 DVD Player/VCR Combo,the
> Canon Pixma MX452, Canon Pixma MX392, Epson WorkForce WF-2540,and HP
> Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One. Is there a big difference in
> price/quality between the inkjet and laser types?
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

One issue with combos that you might want to check out (I don't know
about anything apart from Canon) is that if the print part breaks, you
can't use any of the other parts. Specifically, on Canon all-in-one's,
if the dreaded "printhead not recognized" error comes up, you cannot use
the scanner. Frankly, I would go for 2nd-hand for myself, and only new
if I could write it off in depreciation.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug