Wanted Discussion: WANTED: Mac SE Or Mac II, IIx, IIcx, LC, SI

WANTED: Mac SE Or Mac II, IIx, IIcx, LC, SI

Jeff Papineau
1991-06-26 18:37:37 EST

I need a second Mac, and will consider paying a reasonable price for
any of the following Macs:

SE No SE30's please, that machine is a dog (slow SCSI). You can buy a
new Classic for $1000, so I figure $7-900 tops for a used SE, depending
on configuration, unless its got a big disk (which I don't need).

Mac II, IIx Willing to pay up to $2000 for one of these, stripped.

Mac IIcx Willing to pay up to $2100 for one of these, stripped.

LC Willing to pay up to $1500 for one of these, depends on config.

IIsi Willing to pay up to $2000 for one of these.

I don't need your monitor, color card, software, printer, external drives, etc.

Send mail to:

j*p@frame.com

or call:

408-946-6743 nights
408-922-2738 days

Philip Machanick
1991-06-27 11:52:12 EST
In article <25495@frame.UUCP>, jmp@jaco.Frame.COM (Jeff Papineau) writes:
|> I need a second Mac, and will consider paying a reasonable price for
|> any of the following Macs:
|>
|> SE No SE30's please, that machine is a dog (slow SCSI).
? This is the first time I've heard this - rather the opposite (if
you are upgrading an SE, the SE/30 upgrade is better than most
accelerators because SCSI is faster). I used to own an SE/30, and
I wouldn't take an SE instead unless money was really tight. It
certainly seemed at least as fast as an equivalent IIx/IIcx,
if not faster because it didn't have to talk NuBus to draw the
screen.

Can you substantiate this claim? (Just interested.)
--
Philip Machanick
p*p@pescadero.stanford.edu

Bryan Manske
1991-06-27 15:38:40 EST
In article <1991Jun27.155212.11467@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <25495@frame.UUCP>, jmp@jaco.Frame.COM (Jeff Papineau) writes:
>|> I need a second Mac, and will consider paying a reasonable price for
>|> any of the following Macs:
>|>
>|> SE No SE30's please, that machine is a dog (slow SCSI).
>? This is the first time I've heard this - rather the opposite (if
>you are upgrading an SE, the SE/30 upgrade is better than most
>accelerators because SCSI is faster). I used to own an SE/30, and
>I wouldn't take an SE instead unless money was really tight. It
>certainly seemed at least as fast as an equivalent IIx/IIcx,
>if not faster because it didn't have to talk NuBus to draw the
>screen.
>
>Can you substantiate this claim? (Just interested.)
>--
>Philip Machanick
>*p@pescadero.stanford.edu

I'm also interested in substantiating(sp?!?) this claim.
I've worked with, and serviced Mac's for over 5 years.
The IIcx is my personal favourite for some obscure reasons, but
the SE/30 is close behind. (It makes a great luggable unix box.)
The SE/30 IIcx and IIx all contain the same ROM's, I believe.

I'd like to see an Apple Rep comment on this one.

P.S. - I've also seen with "mine own eyes" an SE/30 out-perform a
IIci. Strange, but true. Memory management bug in the 'ci'
ROM's, says a friend. I'll buy that, considering the source.

P.P.S. - What you WON'T find me buying are the three newest machines.
(Even a fancy chrome finish can't hide the guts inside.)

P.P.P.S (Thou shalt not abandon the coprocessor.
Thou shalt not abandon the coprocessor.
Thou shalt not abandon the coprocessor.
.
.
.
Ad Nausium.)

--
Bryan Manske (515) 296-9908 . ...You cross a lawyer with the
Engineering Animation, Inc. . Godfather,baby, he'll make you an